If you have been involved in an accident with a semi-truck, there are several critical pieces of information that you need to try and obtain.
Here are the most important things to do immediately when involved in an accident with a big truck in Ohio.
17 Things to Obtain in a Big Truck Accident in Ohio
1) Obtain the name, address and telephone number of the truck driver, the name of their company, and supervisor;
2) Obtain as many witnesses as possible, including names, addresses, and phone numbers;
3) Contact the police and file an accident report immediately;
4) Take photographs of all of the damage to your vehicle and the semi-truck;
5) Inspect the truck and trailer and take down as much information including the license plate number and photographs of the damage;
6) If the case is catastrophic, consider hiring an accident reconstruction expert who specializes in obtaining all of the details at a scene;
7) Request copies of all photographs, video and audio recordings, dash cam, body cam, witness statements, and field notes from all of the investigating agencies;
8) Promptly make a FOIA request to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration;
9) Perform Internet research on the crash to gather whatever media coverage is available;
10) Download an online satellite view of the scene;
11) Do social media research regarding the Company and the driver;
12) Look for any close businesses or residences with cameras or surveillance that faced the street or area of the crash;
13) Record all of the Department of Transportation motor carrier numbers, company, personal names on the truck, trailer, freight container, placards, tags and fuel permits for the truck;
14) Photograph any dangling wires or any defective items that you see on the truck or trailer or any suspicious items inside the trailer;
15) Talk to all public safety personnel at the scene, investigating officers, rescue personnel and first responders;
16) Obtain the medical care and treatment that you need as soon as possible. It is critical that you provide doctors and treating physicians with a thorough history of all of the injuries you sustained, all of the limitations and restrictions, and how the accident has impacted you; and
17) Maintain a detailed diary that thoroughly outlines all of your injuries, limitations and restrictions. These diaries are critical when it comes time to settle your claim with a trucking company.
Have you been involved in a big truck accident in Ohio? Have questions? Feel free to contact us and ask your questions.