Sometimes even the most experienced consumer can pick the wrong contractor.
Failure to perform or poor work by the contractor can leave your home or property in a state of disrepair. When it gets to this point, it’s advisable to seek legal counsel. However, it would be better to avoid the situation altogether.
In this post, we’ll explore some helpful tips for selecting a contractor. By following this checklist, you can increase your chances of having a smooth project.
Tips for Selecting a Contractor
1. Make sure you thoroughly investigate and check all of the contractor’s referrals to determine whether the contractor is reputable and has the requisite experience for the project.
2. Ask the contractor if he guarantees all of the work performed and is willing to provide you with a warranty.
3. Ask other consumers who have dealt with the contractor whether they have had any issues with the contractor’s ability to communicate and if the contractor makes promises that he keeps.
4. Make sure you have the contractor specify completely (in writing) what work he is promising to finish, and make sure that the contractor guarantees a completion date so the project is completed on time. Make sure that your contract specifies that “time is of the essence.”
5. Make sure you have the contractor agree on a guaranteed maximum price. This guaranteed maximum price states the maximum price that the contractor will charge for all of his services, labor, and supplies. Make sure the contractor agrees to this guaranteed maximum price in writing.
Know Your Options
In the event of a breach of contract, damages include the reasonable cost of placing the home in the condition in which the parties contemplated when they entered into the contract.
A contractor can also be held accountable for negligence which is a failure to exercise ordinary care.
Contact Tom Today
For additional help in dealing with a bad contractor, contact The Law Office of Tom Somos, LLC. We specialize in consumer law and have helped many families and businesses in the Columbus, Ohio area to recover losses from bad contractors. Contact us today by dialing 614.488.2270.